Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Class assignment (not workshop)

Samuel Iam

My name is Sam. I recently discovered a delicious dish. I knew I had to share it with my good friend. I arrived at Goldman Sachs eager to tell my cube mate all about this amazing dish. We work in investment banking and he always seems to be a bit overwhelmed. I know this dish would put him in higher spirits. I walked in and asked “Do you like green eggs and ham?”

“No Samuel Iam. I do not like green eggs and ham” he said quickly

“Really” I said “I can get it for lunch we can have them right here or even over there”

“I would not like them here or there. I would not like them anywhere. I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them Samuel Iam.”

My friend sure has a great sense of humor. He gets real formal sometimes. That’s one of the things I like about my dear friend. So I asked “how about we grab some green eggs and ham after work. I heard about a great spot in China town, we could even eat it on the train. What do you say to that?”

“I do not like them in a house. I do not like them with a mouse. I do not like them here or there. I do not like them anywhere. I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Samuel Iam.”

Okay Okay I get it I said. “You just wanna grab some take-out with Linda from accounting”

Not in a box. Not with a fox. Not in a house. Not with a mouse. I would not eat them here or there. I would not eat them anywhere. I would not eat green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Samuel Iam.

“Well alright what about this weekend I know your driving out to a boat party on the shore. If you invite me I could bring some along for the ride out.”

“I would not, could not, in my car. I just got the LS 430”

“I just told my friend about green eggs and ham and he suggested it with a little green”

“I would not, could not in a tree. Not in a car! You let me be. I do not like them in a box. I do not like them with a fox. I do not like them in a house. I do not like them with a mouse. I do not like them here or there. I do not like them anywhere. I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Samuel Iam.”

“What if I just swing by your apartment tonight? You can make a night of it. It could be good on a rainy night alone. I mean between two friends ” I suggested

“I would not, could not, in the rain. Not in the dark. Not on a train. Not in a car. Not in a tree. I do not like them, Sam, you see. Not in a house. Not in a box. Not with a mouse. Not with a fox. I will not eat them here or there. I do not like them anywhere!”

“So what are you saying?” I asked

“I do not like them, Sam Iam”

That’s when I understood. “You need some Island flavor. Try it with some curry goat”

“I will not, will not, with a goat. I will not eat them in the rain. I will not eat them on a train. Not in the dark! Not in a tree! Not in a car! You let me be! I do not like them in a box. I do not like them with a fox. I will not eat them in a house. I do not like them with a mouse. I do not like them here or there. I do not like them ANYWHERE!”

“You say you won’t like them but I know you will. I’ll just bring some back from lunch”

“Sam! If you will let me be, I will try them. You will see.”

Linda from accounting came over to see what all the fuss was about. I told her about green eggs and ham. She went on about how much she loves it. “As a matter of fact I have some in my luchbox” she exclaimed

With that suggestion my good friend decided to give green eggs and ham a try

“Say!” he said with a grin “I like green eggs and ham! I do! I like them, Sam-I-am!”

He continued “And I would eat them on my boat. And I would eat them with some goat.

And I will eat them in the rain. And in the dark. And on a train. And in a car. And in a tree. They are so good, so good, you see! So I will eat them in a box. And I will eat them with a fox. And I will eat them in a house. And I will eat them with a mouse. And I will eat them here and there. Say! I will eat them ANYWHERE! I do so like green eggs and ham! Thank you! Thank you Sam-I-am!”

2 comments:

nadia said...

This is a very funny recreation of Dr. Suess. It sounds like a modern New York version of his story. With the car and the chinese food place. I have to say very creative impressionism!

Corey Frost said...

Hey, this is brilliant, Joanne. I was surprised to see a retelling of Green Eggs and Ham set in the world of Wall Street. Somehow it makes perfect sense. The original poem is an interesting experiment in itself, in that it was written using only 50 words. Expanding the vocabulary and giving it a concrete setting as you have done makes for a humorous contrast.

Thanks
C