Monday, October 20, 2008

I REMEMBER...

I remember when the Professor gave us this assignment to do, and I thought to myself, "didn't we do this on the first day of class?"

I remember when I was a little boy and my father told me there's a time to play around, and there's a time to work and get serious.

I remember when he always used to tell me as a child to always respect my grandmother.

I remember when my grandmother, who we all called (ma), used to walk with me across the street to school everyday.

I remember as I got older telling her, "I am old enough to walk across the street to school on my own now."

I remember after school going to ma's house and eating a huge meal everyday.

I remember my grandmother getting angry whenever I asked her for seconds and told her I was still hungry after the first plate.

I remember sitting in the living room with her and her friend Al, watching Judge Judy and Family Fued on television.

I remember her repeatingly asking me to play her three favorite songs on the piano, in which I would first refuse in shyness, and then eventually do so.

I remember at 5:15 leaving ma's house and saying "goodbye" and "see you tomorrow".

I remember when I went to the hospital and saw that my grandmother had passed.

I remember feeling the worst pain I ever felt in my life.

1 comment:

Corey Frost said...

You've turned this exercise into something much more contemplative, by focusing on memories of an important person, and I like the way it has turned out. Good work.

PS Yes, we did something similar on the first day, but that was just one "I remember." Just a warm-up, so to speak.